How You Can Get your Girlfriend’s Parents to Like You
Some guys find it so easy to get parents to like them. Whether it is attributed to luck or charm, these guys never seem to have a problem with parents while he dates their daughter. However, there are some parents who aren’t so nice. In fact, it doesn’t have to be both parents who don’t like you even just one parent can make it hell for you to date their daughter.
In many cases, parents tend to be very picky when guys date their daughters. It’s only natural, they want their daughters to have the best of everything and they would prefer someone perfect to take their daughters out and to woo them. So when you are faced with a mother and father who are definitely not falling for your charms, here are a few tips to help you to get your girlfriend’s parents to like you:
• Do a little of your own research and find out more about your girlfriend’s parents from the things that your girlfriend tells you. Find out what kind of relationship she has with her mother and father and how big an influence they have on her and the decisions she makes. This will give you a better idea of understanding where her parents are coming from.
• Ask your girlfriend to build you up a little with her parents. Have her focus on all your positive aspects and let your girlfriend know that having her parents like you is important to you, especially if you are in it for the long haul with your girlfriend. Make sure she gives them a good impression of you before you meet them in the future.
• Meet your girlfriend’s parents when you know that you really love your girlfriend and when you have the gut feeling that it is the right time. Make sure you meet under comfortable circumstances so that you don’t put yourself through too much agony. You may even want to invite them both to dinner out with you and your girlfriend. Either way, try to impress them on your first meeting and show them that you really care about their daughter.
• Upon meeting them, listen carefully, be observant and find out their reactions to certain things you say or do. Keep a mental note of it and try to fix negative things quickly. Always be alert to things that the parents may enjoy and like so that you can use that information in the future. If the father likes golf, then maybe you could take up golf later. If the mother loves gardening, maybe you could lend a hand in her garden one of these days. All these little bits of information matter when it comes to getting her parents to like you.
• Don’t avoid your girlfriend’s home or her parents as much as you can. You’ll only stress yourself out, and besides, parents know when you are avoiding them. Before picking her up at home, chat with your girlfriend’s parents before taking her out. On weekends, drop by during convenient times and always let them know you are coming over. Don’t overdo it, but let them see that you are not intentionally avoiding them. Otherwise they will resent you for trying to keep them in the dark about your intentions.
• Cut down on the public displays of affection when your girlfriend’s parents are in the vicinity. Reduce contact to just holding her hand at the very least. Be respectful when they are around and focus a little more on them when they come and talk to you. Let your girlfriend know when it is uncomfortable for you to be too affectionate with her parents around. Never hang out in your girlfriend’s room when you visit. Hang out in a common area where you can include her parents in your visit and enjoy each others’ company.
• Be honest and considerate with her parents when you are all together. What they really want to know is that your intentions with their daughter are good. Don’t be afraid to let them know how much you care for their daughter when the topic ever comes up. Have meaningful conversations with her parents so that they know that you are an open and honest guy who can be trusted.