Making a Long Distance Relationship Work
Being far away from the one you love is never an easy thing. They say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, which is true, but what do you do in before then? There are a number of reasons why you end up in a long distance relationship. Many couples meet each other while on holiday and end up having to maintain a relationship across states or countries. Another couple might be forced to live apart because the job of one of them takes him far away from his usual home base. No matter what the reason is, couples are faced with having to deal with love over long distances. So how does one keep the love alive when they are so far apart?
• Have regular meetings that will bring you together. Whether it is once a week or even just once a month, planning to be together will help you give your relationship the time and attention that it needs. Keep the real connection between the two of you by meeting to touch, feel and talk to your loved one. Nothing beats good old-fashioned human contact.
• Take advantage of advanced communications to keep in touch and maintain the connection. There are several ways to do it, like through Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Voice-over IP, and even your social networking sites like Facebook and Friendster. Write each other emails and posts videos for each other about things that you think the other would enjoy. The best part about living today is now a message can be delivered instantly in a few seconds unlike the past where it took days or weeks.
• Send each other actual written love letters once in a while. A postcard or greeting card will also do. Writing actual letters in long-hand is still a very romantic way of sharing your feelings and letting the other person know that you took time and effort in actually writing a letter. Splash some of your own perfume on the paper especially for him. Later in life, when you are old and married you can look back to those letters and have great mementos to remind you of your special bond.
• Learn to trust your partner and have faith that he is being true in your relationship. The worst part about being jealous is that once it rears its ugly head, it makes both parties insecure and is the source of destruction for the relationship if it cannot be avoided. By trusting your partner, you give him the space he needs to grow as an individual and he will know that you understand him and trust his actions.
• Take a day off every week from communicating with each other and focusing only on yourself. On this day, go out with friends or enjoy a day of relaxation at the spa. By giving yourself your day off you can put your relationship to test and see if having a little time off will make either of you more or less uncomfortable.
• When you have your day off, don’t go out and put yourself in a situation that will tempt you to cheat. On your day off, avoid going out with a mixed group of people, instead let it just be a night for the girls. Don’t go to wild parties or mixers or you may regret it by the end of the night.
• Before you part talk about your partnership and what you hope to accomplish with this long distance relationship. If you both have goals to be together in the end, you can both have set goals that you can work on to make the relationship stronger. By keeping focused, you will find that the long distance part of your relationship will be over in no time and you’ll be reaping its benefits together.
• Be honest with one another. The more you lie about what you do when you are not with your partner (especially if you lie just to avoid petty jealousy), the more you will end up slipping and reinventing more lies to cover up old ones. Just be honest and trust that your partner will understand whatever your decisions and activities may be.